Seasons in the Sun

She died in the spring
She said ‘Boy, it really is hard to die
when the birds are singing’
And we played Seasons in the Sun
As we said our last goodbye.
I did not wear black
She had always told me it was not my colour
‘So, don’t you dare’
I wore purple instead and flowers in my hair
She had loved my hair like that
I read the words she had written
Of forgiveness and gratitude
Of a life well-lived and well-loved
And I cried
I felt her near me, stroking my hair
How I had hated that as a child
But now I did not
Someone helped me back to my seat
And we sang Amazing Grace
My children carried the box
Adorned with daisies
And they held their heads high
For all to see their pain
As they drove her away
I wanted to stomp my feet
And shout ‘don’t leave me’
And I think I did

No comments:

Post a Comment