Not Born a Mother

I’m learning not to raise my voice
To listen when I want to talk
To remain calm, when I feel angry
To understand when you make mistakes
I’m learning not to try and be perfect
And just be my very best
That being myself is good enough
And simply loving you moves mountains
I’m learning that I do know best
If I slow down enough to listen
For the answers come from within
Not from others who do not know you
I’m learning that you are learning too
And it’s my job to guide, not teach
And to protect you from harm
As you make mistakes and learn from them
I’m learning that not everything matters
To laugh at the little things
So we can work through the big things
And get there in the end
I’m learning unconditional love
And how to receive love well
To cherish each tiny step
Because we can never go back
I’m learning to forgive myself
When I’m not who I’d like to be
And remember I was not born a mother
I am just learning too

No comments:

Post a Comment